Monday, September 12, 2005

A Fresh Selection from the Stack

“Dear Suzanne,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to see your work. Unfortunately, due to a full plate of artists, The Gallery cannot accept your work at this time. However, if you so desire, you are welcome to send us slide of your new work in the future.

Thank you for your interest in The Gallery,

Sincerely,

Mr. InCharge”

Today’s rejection letter falls into that “hmmm… so, did they like me?” category. I tend to officially put these under the “neutral” column when adding them to the tally. If they loved my work and HAD to have it, they may find room for it in their gallery regardless or go out of their way to tell me so. Hence, it’s my assumption that these letters indicate something of a near miss aesthetically. Meaning, my work is close, but not quite there. It may be that the execution needs to be polished more, or perhaps the themes and concepts need to be explored more deeply, or even more simply, perhaps I just don’t have enough work yet to prove that it’ll hold up as a series. Either way, this isn’t a door closed, just one that sticks a bit and perhaps it’ll open better when the weather has changed. I plan to resubmit to these types of responses after several months have passed. You just never know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home