Thursday, January 04, 2007

A Wayward Rejection that Wasn't

This past September I sent two exhibition proposals to a desirable Florida gallery near the Atlantic Ocean. The first proposal, which was for my two woman show “Our Creature Comforts” came back as a “Thank you, but no thank you.” Once that one arrived, I waited patiently for my own personal rejection letter to arrive. I checked my PO box every few days and nothing came.

Finally after about a month I called them yesterday morning to inquire just in case something was sent to me, but didn't make it. Yesterday afternoon they called me back and told me that they were holding onto my proposal materials just in case someone drops out. The curator said that they were very impressed with my work and felt it would work well as a solo show, but that there were only two available in 2007 - hence my position on the waiting list. I was told that 2008 should work and to definitely resubmit a proposal in September for that calendar year.

I guess you could count it as a near miss, but just getting that feedback was great. My calendar is marked for September and you can bet that I'll be contacting them again if I don't hear from them this year.

On a side note, I've submitted my work to 10 additional galleries which means more rejection letters will be heading this way so stay tuned.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mitch! said...

Suzanne,

This may sound weird but I love your blog! I found you when searching for rejection letters from festivals.
I run a "mini-art festival" in Houston and recently began to jury the jewerly. I don't jury paintings, but I have to for jewelry...or the show would look like a bead festival. Your work is great! I suspect you'll have to change the theme of your blog soon to acceptance letters!

-Mitch
www.yalestreetmarket.com

1/09/2007 8:00 AM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Thank you Mitch :) I'm glad you enjoy it. I thought there had to be a better way to utilize all these rejection letters. I mean really, if I don't have a little fun with it all it would get kind of tiresome. ;) Let's hope that you're right about the switch in name. I'll happily buy a new domain name when the time comes. Oh and in the meantime, if you need some good source for your own rejection letters, I’ve found my library very helpful in that regard.

Thanks again,
Suzanne

1/09/2007 8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I work in a gallery and have the unfortunate task of often being the person so send acceptance or rejection letters.
IT IS INCREDIBLY hard. It is never easy to let people know that what they could have been dreaming about for months isn't happening.
But sometimes it is even HARDER when a really talented artist just can't be placed in that calendar year, we can spend hundreds of gutrenching hours looking at applications trying to make them fit. Usually it's because of the artists availability just isn't fitting and sometimes it's a medium or style that has been really popular for that submission period. When they say submit next year ALWAYS DO IT. The saddest part that 90% of the time the artist won't apply again the following year. Even if you send them an application DIRECTLY when they are available.

10/09/2014 5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home